Friday, July 27, 2007

Thank you for everything, Harry and Joanne...


I write this now with feelings of pain and overwhelming sadness...which is silly because the pain that I'm feeling come from losing the people who wasn't mine to begin with and even sillier that they have never existed. I'm talking about the pain of saying goodbye to Harry, Ron, Hermione, the Weasleys especially Fred, the Marauders of Hogwarts and all those wonderful characters that have sprung out from the extraordinary imagination of Joanna Kathleen Rowling.



You know you're onto something great when you read a book so great that you want to be friends with the characters and that when they feel sad so do you and when they die, you moped around the house for weeks mourning the loss of such a beloved friend who just a character that never existed.



I've begun reading Harry Potter when I was 12 and ever since then, it has made a huge impact in my life. And in my mind that these wizards and withes are my friends. Something that I am no shameful to admit because it is a feeling that millions of people around the world will echo as well. Growing up, you learn a lot of things from the people around you, from the movies that you watch and especially from the books you read and the Harry Potter series have helped me through that a lot. There was once a time in my life where I felt like an outcast with nowhere that I belong. Even friends don't feel so great but the books gave me a place where I felt belong. Just as Hogwarts have been a home to Harry and Sirius and Severus and Tom Riddle, so has it been mine, once upon a time when the pain of adolescent and growing up was too much to bear.



Now with the ending of book 7, I bid my friends in the magical world goodbye. I will not know what they will be up to anymore but at least the ending was satisfactory and proved to be a good closure. Now it is time for me, and I guess millions more to heal from the pain of parting with good friends. All good things must come to an end, it is after all for the greater good... As Dumbledore would have said.



So thank you Joanne, thank you for weaving a world of wonderful characters of joy and happiness and fear and despair. Thank you for the great memories and the lessons. Thank you for the good friends that you have created for your readers. Thank you for Hogwarts, a school where everyone belongs but most of all thank you for sharing the adventures with us.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

By the way... Her real name is just Joanne Rowling. The Kathleen was her grandmother's name, and they publish her name as J.K. cos they felt that boys wouldn't tend to buy a book written by a female author.

But i'm just saying :D

WHY FREDDDDDDDDDDDDD!

Anonymous said...

*sob*

bye potter. i shall read from 1-7 again...and again...



and again..

constant drama said...

son-son: thanks for the tip, and yes WHY FRED?!!!! WHY?!!!!

3kc: Me too babe, trip down memory lane.

Gypsy On The Move said...

i'm depress that she killed off Fred too. =(
we will miss him.

constant drama said...

I cried till the words went blurry and was moping around the house for like 4 days. Mourning is very tiring.

Poor George, what will ever happen to him? First and ear than a twin...

Kuan said...

eh...now i want to go straight to the ending...tell me tell me, hehehehe